Monday, July 3, 2017

Lode Runner Legacy to be released on Steam

 

You know … I’m really starting to dislike the word “retro.” Classic cars are retro, old movies are also retro. Games that were released in my adolescence aren’t really retro because I remember when they were current. I know I’m just moaning because it’s making me feel far older than I should but the “R” word is being applied to Lode Runner Legacy and I’m here to tell you that a release date has been announced ready for its appearance on Steam.

Publisher Tozai Games has confirmned that Lode Runner Legacy is set to release on PC via Steam on the 13th of this month. The latest edition of the franchise is said to continue very much in the action packed vein of the series but with updated Voxel-style visuals and powerful editors which will allow the player to create their own Runners and items.

For those of you who aren’t quite old enough to remember the 1983 original, Lode Runner was created by Doug Smith back when he was a student at the University of Washington. The game was a massive hit at the time, and it also became inspirational for many others in the videogame industry.

Alexey Pajitnov, (creator of the massively acclaimed Tetris,) said of Lode Runner, “My favourite for many, many years. Every level was a real puzzle with it’s own mechanics, it’s own dynamics, it’s own kind of solution … I can’t imagine any other game with such inventive and unusual design.

Doug Smith sadly passed on in 2014, but US Gamer editor-in-chief Jeremy Parish commented in tribute, saying, “[He] created one of the most innovative formative works of the medium, a game that managed to transcend international boundaries and become a beloved classic amongst American PC gamers and Japanese console fanatics alike.

This is a beloved classic and it’s always nice when something that’s truely loved is polished off and brought back into the limelight in all of its glory. While writing this article I’ve just also realised that after all the whining I was doing earlier I’m not quite old enough to remember the original game … for a change. This being said I think this is an experience I’ll be having on the 13th of July with the rest of you.

The post Lode Runner Legacy to be released on Steam appeared first on That VideoGame Blog.



from That VideoGame Blog http://ift.tt/2tE8zH8

No comments:

Post a Comment